CEMEG India: a new initiative in India to promote best practices
During our work in India delivering training and capacity building on CEMs in India it has become clear that the combination of both European and US methodologies has led to some confusion and errors in CEMs application. Since there is currently no single document which provides data on all the methodologies needed to operate CEMs in India for compliance monitoring, the ICSC has produced the first document of this kind. These best practice guidelines have been produced by Sanjeev K Kanchan, our expert associate in India in collaboration with experts from Europe and the USA. The document provides step-by-step guidance on CEMs, from equipment selection through installation to operation, maintenance, and calibration. It is free to download here.
The document will be distributed widely in India and acts as the first publication from a new legacy initiative that ICSC has established in India, under the auspices of the US State Department project – CEMEG India – the CEM Experts Group.
The document can be download here.
CEMEG India aims to empower stakeholders in India to establish an Indian association to promote best practices in emission monitoring going forward. A stakeholder event was held at the CEEW headquarters in Delhi in November 2022 at which it was agreed that an independent expert organisation could help accelerate coordination in CEM use across India. The long-term goals of CEMEG-India are:
- to accelerate policy changes at the national level – promoting liaison between government, regulators, and industry to ensure that policy-related monitoring goals are achievable. CEM-India could act as a unified voice for the industry to present reasoned arguments.
- to draft technical goals – Indian emission source stakeholders need a platform to liaise on common goals and to address and solve common problems and then must disseminate this knowledge through capacity building. CEM-India would be the focal point for information sharing.
- to facilitating a recurring CEMEG-India event within India that promotes industry collaboration within SE Asia. CEMEG-India will enact this by building on the groundwork of ILM Ltd UK, and will work with this organisation to launch the CEMEG-India initiative at the CEM India Conference in Delhi in February 2023 https://www.ilmexhibitions.com/cemindia/
The potential benefits of CEMEG-India:
- A platform for regulators, source operators, technology suppliers, and expert (national and international) stakeholders to discuss major challenges and identify common paths for improvement through collaboration and knowledge sharing
- Networking on Industry Best Practices and Solutions
- A database of stakeholders allowing stakeholders to find suppliers or emission testing experts as necessary.
CEMEG-India will be led by CEEW – The Council for Energy, Environment and water, India. https://www.ceew.in/
For more information on CEMEG-India, please contact CEEW or Sanjeevkanchan11@gmail.om