On behalf of the US Department of State (USDOS), the ICSC held an event in Jakarta in July 2023. This 3-day event was supported by the Indonesian Ministry of the Environment and Forestry (MOEF), the Ministry of Minerals and Energy Resources (MEMR) and the Basel Convention Regional Centre-Asia (BCRC-Asia) is free to all interested parties.
We included results from ongoing project work in Indonesia which aims to accelerate compliance of the Indonesian coal utility fleet with emission reduction targets. As part of this work, the ICSC carried out an analysis of the Indonesian coal utility fleet and has ranked the plants according to their potential for effective emission reduction strategies. The full report can be downloaded here for free.
The workshop presented potential techniques and technologies which will be cost-effective for the Indonesian challenge. This event builds from previous ICSC MEC (Multipollutant Emission Control) workshops which have taken place around the world since 2004 and will include the annual meeting of the United Nations Environment (UNEP) Coal Partnership Area. Joining the partnership area is free of charge and new partners are always welcome. For more information on the Partnership, please click here.
On Thursday 13 July, 10-12am Jakarta time, the UN Environment Programme Coal Partnership Area held its annual meeting. This event provided partners of the Partnership area with an update on the Minamata Convention on Mercury and related project work. The event was free and open to all.
This event included:
- Presentations from the ICSC on the results of the Indonesian fleet analyses
- Results from the case studies at three selected Indonesian coal units – proposed emission reduction strategies and technologies
- An update on the Macquarie University/Global Environment Fund project on emission inventories and future emission scenarios in emerging economies
- A status report on the Minamata Convention from the UNEP Minamata Secretariat
- Participation from relevant experts on emission reduction strategies such as plant upgrading, flexing operation, biomass cofiring, retrofit control technologies, SO2 control, NOx control, mercury control, and ash management
The workshop took place on 11 & 12 July 2023 at the Ritz Carlton Hotel, Mega Kuningan, in Jakarta.
We held a workshop dinner on the first evening, free to all delegates.